February was a blur. It was cold and snowy, but what else would you expect from the Midwest? Church was cancelled twice because of wind chill, and my work closed early on Valentines Day. We still went out for Valentines which was nice. There's this place called Corndance that our friends highly recommended and it was definitely worth the price and surpassed expectations. Absolutely delicious! I was also surprised by Wes with this precious necklace that came in the Little Blue Box. It is a jade bean. for our little peanut :) So thoughtful and perfect.
Our friends Baley and Ryan had their baby girl at the very end of January, and we have become a little obsessed with her. We have always loved hanging out with our friends, but now it's even more fun to hang out since we get to hold their little bundle, come home smelling like a newborn baby, and dream of the day when our own little one is here. Which still seems so far away! Especially when Wes tells me literally every day that it's taking too long and I need to grow our baby faster. I just ask him if he could do it faster and that keeps him quiet, until the next day :)
March has has also gone by so fast. During the first weekend of March, my brother Steve was in Kentucky for work, and he decided to come and visit us. He is the first Peterson to make it to our little home! It was a quick trip so I skipped work so we could take him to Notre Dame and around South Bend. South Bend isn't the most exciting place in the world, but more than anything it was just great to see the guy since both Wes and I are really close to him. I miss my brother and all of my family. It makes me even more anxious for graduation (less than two months away!!) so more of our family can be here and then we can all go home!
We had my ultrasound the second week of March to find out the gender and see the baby in detail. Can I just geek out for a second and tell you how utterly amazing it is! I have always had a great appreciation for life and the human body and the things that we as humans are capable of, especially after studying all of this in college. But seeing this living being in those grainy pictures, watching the tiny heart beat and measuring everything from the femur to the brain, I can't even put it into words how incredible it is! And that it is all happening inside of me! Wow. We have a huge print out of pictures from the ultrasound that is now hanging in our bedroom by the mirror - it was a bit too long for the fridge this time :) Our baby is healthy! And it's a boy! Everything looked perfect and he is measuring a few days bigger than my estimated due date. Which could potentially cause problems if he decides to come early - the bar exam is two weeks before my due date. That would be the one thing that would keep Wes from attending the birth of our first child. It would make a great story though...
| Ignore the glare on the picture and look at our sweet baby boy with his hand by his mouth. We got to watch him swallow a bunch of times and suck on his hand. So adorable! |
| Here's the print out of pictures I mentioned. And you probably recognize this as the weekly "bump picture" place. |
| This is the first thing we bought right after the appointment and sent it out to our families! The little booties are my favorite <3 |
And then it was Spring break. And Spring was in the air! The snow was mostly melted, except for the huge mountains that had collected after all of the plowing. I heard birds chirping one morning and we had lots of sunshine! I took a few days off to spend them with Wes. We went to Michigan City, Indiana, to do some much needed shopping for me and as an excuse to get out of the house. I finally entered the realm of maternity clothes...I found some pretty good deals on tops and bought a pair of maternity jeans, so no more holding my jeans together with a rubber band. Then it actually became "Spring" and the weather has been undecided ever since. Wes is dying for warmer temps so he can head out to the golf course. I wish I could golf as well, but it's definitely not happening for me this season. I'm already prone to clumsiness and pregnancy has just increased that. So when you factor in my shifting weight and center of gravity and put a club in my hands, I don't think it will end very well. haha. I do just want to get outside and feel the fresh air and sunshine though.
That's about it for the more notable things. Life always includes the daily grind of class and reading for Wes and work and sleeping for me :) As far as the pregnancy goes, it's been pretty uneventful for the most part. And that's what you want, right? No sickness, no cravings, yet, beside Ramen noodles in the first trimester. but I was just craving anything and everything salty. I have experienced some of the random pregnancy symptoms like nosebleeds, congestion, and tender gums. And of course the common, constant need to eat and sleep. The back and hip pain is starting to settle in, especially at night after sitting all day at work. No stretch marks, yet, just 12 pounds heavier and quickly running out of regular clothes that fit!
I felt my baby move for the first time around 18 weeks!! I think I had for about a week or so but was unsure if that was really him or just my digestive system doing its thing. And now being 20 weeks I feel him all the time! He is most active, or I'm paying the most attention, in the morning as I eat breakfast and at night after I get home from work. It brings a secret smile to my face every time - it's so incredible! I have started to feel him from the outside, too, but anytime I call Wes over and he puts his hand on my belly, the kid stops moving completely! He is already a tease, just like his dad ;)
Oh, and pregnancy brain is a very real thing - I feel like I'm going crazy some days. And Wes totally plays on this. Here's a story to illustrate: Tuesday I come home from work and pull out some cereal for my bedtime snack. I had just bought the box the day before on my day off, so I'm expecting a nice full bowl. And it only pours a half bowl, if that, and the box is gone. I was confused - this was brand new yesterday and I hadn't had any yet. So I ask Wes: How is this box already gone? And he said he had a bowl for breakfast but that was it. Okay...my mind is reeling trying to figure out where all the cereal went. I was certain I would've noticed an unsealed box at the store, so that wasn't an option. Wes couldn't remember if it was a full bag when he opened it or not. So the only plausible options were they jipped our box of cereal at the factory or we have gremlins. And I was serious about the gremlins... Wes then tells me that I have gotten up in the middle of the night before to go eat something. Wait. what?! I do not! Well, apparently I have, but I have no recollection of this. at all. But I have been known to talk in my sleep and even occasionally sleep walk, so how big of a step is it to eating in your sleep? So now I'm thinking I'm the cereal thief! I eat my half bowl, still very unsatisfied and stewing. I go back to Wes because there was still one other possibility besides me binge eating. "You're not lying to me, are you, Wes?" I asked him. Then a smile spreads across his face and he busts up laughing. And I get mad. haha. He had led me to believe that I was eating unknown amounts of food at night! And I can't remember anything these days, so for all I knew it could have been true! haha We had a good laugh about it. I just felt relieved that I wasn't completely crazy :)
And speaking of crazy - here's another story from this week: I am a deep sleeper and fall asleep very quickly. Wes is the opposite as a light sleeper and it can take him hours to fall asleep. This was the case on Wednesday night. Instead of counting sheep, he likes to tease me in my sleep. Silly childish things like tickle my face with my hair and such (I'm slightly worried how I will handle our son if he is like Wes haha!) He mostly just talks to me though. And we have carried on conversations plenty of times that I can't remember at all in the morning when Wes tells me about them. So, we were chatting, and I must have been dreaming about work, again, because I was trying to sell him an insurance policy. And something about "you can't say that in New Jersey" came up. Wes is cracking up the whole time, and I'm just in my half-asleep state getting frustrated with him. (My very faint memories of this have been greatly supplemented with Wes' account the next morning.) Wes gives me a hug to comfort me, but in doing so he kind of pulls my hair. This really sets me off and I say, "You're hurting my short hairs!!" And then I start to cry hysterically as I babble about my short hairs.
(My "short hairs" are a bunch of fly-away hairs about two inches long around my forehead area. I've always had lots of new hair growth but pregnancy has increased this growth. a lot. So I have a lot of new hair that's coming in and it is impossible to get it to do anything except stick straight up. And that morning had been particularly challenging to deal with the unruly "short hairs".)
By this point Wes is dying and just laughing at me while I bawl and get even madder at him for laughing at me in my pain with the "short hairs". He tells me to just go to sleep because I won't be nearly as upset in the morning. And so I did. And I was fine. And Wes had a fun time telling me about it the next day. He does a much better job telling the story, and it's probably not nearly as funny reading about it compared to listening to him tell it, but we got a kick out of it. So I hope you did too!
Life is so good you guys. It's still hard to believe sometimes that all of this is real! Wes and I are so blessed :) I'll leave you with a few more bump pics!
| 14 Weeks |
| 15 Weeks. I'm always rushing out the door to go to work when I snap these pics, but I really need to remember to close the closet door and pick up the mess on the floor! haha |
| 16 Weeks |
| Almost 19 Weeks. I didn't like any pics I took at 17 weeks and totally forgot to at 18 with all of the excitement of the doctors appointment. |
| 19 1/2 Weeks. I wanted to include this because I feel sooo much bigger in dresses for some reason. And I promise I'm happy - it was just a sleepy Sunday afternoon. |
| 20 Weeks! |
No comments:
Post a Comment