Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Kitchen Hands

So these past few weeks I've ventured into the kitchen. At first it was to just wash all of the new dishes and cooking things. Then it was to cook our first few meals (cold cereal, sandwiches, and boxed mac n'cheese). When I finally made it to the grocery store for real food was when the fun began.

When people have asked if I can cook, I always answer yes, and that I enjoy cooking. Which was completely true and still partially is. I know how to watch my beautiful mother cook and be her sous chef. But preparing a meal start to finish all by myself has been quite the challenge. Even planning the meals and getting the grocery list ready has proven more difficult than I ever remembered it being when I 'practiced' all of these types of things back in Young Women days. But I'm learning and getting better with just, what, two weeks of real cooking under my belt. It's actually a fun challenge and it keeps me busy while the job search continues - which is when I Really need to know how to be efficient in the kitchen since I won't have all day to get dinner ready. It is also very gratifying and fulfilling when I make something and Wes likes it and even has seconds :)

I now truly understand two things in life much better - why my mom always wears her apron, and why she never wears her diamond ring in the kitchen. I discovered that I do the exact same thing. Rings just get in the way and are annoying with the constant rinsing off the hands or dealing with messy things. It's much easier to just take them off and put them back on when the meal is all pretty on the table. And the apron - part of my wearing it almost anytime I'm in the kitchen is that my Grandma Nelson made it specially for me, and it's beautiful, and I love it. But I also tend to make messes in the kitchen, and the apron prevents it all from getting on me - who knew? Plus I just like feeling like a cute little wife while wearing my vintage apron, and it reminds me of my mom in the kitchen.

I may not be the cook my mother is, yet, but with the constant phone calls, questions, and practice I hope to be, someday. My hands are beginning to resemble hers, though, with all of the dish washing by hand. And this makes me happy :)


3 comments:

  1. Jimmy and I miss you guys but it is exciting to be able to read all about your adventures! I'm especially excited for the day that I get to begin experimenting in the kitchen as well! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We miss you too! Got your announcement in the mail the other day - you guys look great, and we're so excited for you! :) Only wish that we could be there to celebrate with you...but we'll just have to keep swapping stories once you guys are an old married couple too :) love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember at your shower when they thought your apron was something else at first....hehe :) It's fun to read about your stories and it makes me feel a little less guilty about missing the big day.

    ReplyDelete