Sunday, December 9, 2012

First Date to Happily Married

Last Sunday was the First Presidency Christmas Devotional. I always enjoy the music and messages, and it's a great way to start off the Christmas season. But this one was even more special because it marked the 'one year' point for something important. Last year's devotional was my first date with Wes. Awww...but for those unfamiliar with our story, it was also our last date for a few months because I decided to start dating someone else, only to realize later that Wes was the better man :) So let's just say that Wes doesn't have the fondest feelings toward that weekend ;)

It was fun to reflect on this past year and to see all that has changed. It is truly amazing how much has happened since then (finding, dating, and marrying the love of my life, graduating from college, moving away from home and living across the country!) I thought that my life was headed in one direction until Wes turned everything around - which I'm so grateful for! I also can't believe it's only been one year, and yet how quickly it has passed.

With all of this in mind, I want to share an experience that happened at work this week that made me so grateful for my happy marriage and foundation of the gospel.

Working at a bank means that people look at your hands a lot because you're handling their money. So naturally, my wedding ring attracts some attention. Many customers have asked me how long I've been married - I must look so young to them. One particular client asked me this, and I replied four months. He kind of laughed and said that that was a mistake. Somewhat taken back, I tell him that I'm happily married. He then tells me that my answer will change in about ten years. I firmly stated that I disagreed and would still be happily married in ten years. I had finished his transaction and so he went on his way, probably not thinking anything of our conversation, but it had pricked something in me that bothered me all day.

What made it even worse was that I couldn't really talk about it to any of my coworkers because they wouldn't really understand where I was coming from and why this would bother me since they all come from broken homes. After stewing over it all day, I finally got to talk to Wes that night about it, which helped.

I know that the world we live in puts no faith in marriage anymore, and that no one expects them to last. Divorce is so common these days and neither party is at 'fault'. Many don't even see a reason to get married. This modern view just makes me sad. I wanted to tell this client that just because he has a failed marriage doesn't mean that everyone else will, or that I will, and that he has no right to tell me my marriage was a mistake and a decision I'll regret. Getting married to Wes was the BEST decision I'll ever make and one I am grateful for every single day! I wasn't hurt so much by his comments as I was just saddened that this man had this view. Once again, I am so grateful for the restored gospel of Jesus Christ. I can have confidence in my temple marriage because of its eternal nature. By keeping my covenants, choosing to work at and strengthen my marriage, and loving Wes and the Lord every day of my life, I will always be happily married.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you for standing up and saying something! Something that people don't understand is that our choices determine our destiny. You don't just suddenly get divorced or "fall out of love" without you and/or your spouse making choices along the way to lead down that path. You guys are an awesome couple and we're glad we know you! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amen! I wish people did know that principle because the divorce rate may be 50% but that doesn't mean that every couple has a 50/50 chance to make it.
      Thanks Steph! We think you guys are awesome, too. :)

      Delete
  2. I just love you Anna! What's crazy is I actually had a very similar experience with a man at work as well! It is really sad how negative people are and how little faith the world has in marriage. I too am so grateful to be happily married for ETERNITY! And I'm grateful for you and Wes! I love and miss you Anna!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heather!!! I love YOU and miss YOU! What are your plans the weekend before Christmas? Because Wes and I will be home and would love to do dinner or something with you and Jimmy, or at the very least see you!

      Delete