Now that we're all settled back in Indiana, I broke out my birthday present (awesome recording equipment and software) from Wes. After a really long and frustrating two days, my own little recording studio is all set to go in our apartment. It's kind of a surreal experience listening to your own voice and music and lyrics played back to you like it's supposed to be there but so cool! My poor fingers had blisters on the tips from playing my guitar so much - that's what happens when I don't play at all for four months and lose my calluses. I'm a bit rusty, but it's all coming together every day. Who needs a day job? I've been working on a few covers and a few originals as well, so watch out for those appearing soonish - either here or FB. Exciting. I know.
So earlier this week, I was just hanging out by myself while Wes was at school and wrote down a few thoughts on my latest endeavor, a little bit about the writing process for me, and music in general. I apologize if it's a little random and sporadic but that's just the way my brain works. (You don't even want to know what my journal looks like)
Music is the universal language because it comes straight from the heart. To the heart. It can express the feelings inside you better than just plain words. A few simple chords or notes can take you on a journey. Bring pictures and images to your mind. Take you on a journey of times, places, people, memories, and feelings. And every time you listen to the same song or hear the same tune, it can be an entirely new experience. What is incredible to me is that this is not unique. I'm sure that everyone has been moved by music somehow somewhere.
Music is truly a gift from God. I believe He gave us voices to sing and hands to play. I hope I can use this gift to simply bring joy - to my life and anyone else that cares to listen. I hope you do (listen) and that it does (bring you joy).
I'm not sure why this is exactly, but I don't always write from a happy place. It's more often melancholy and afraid. unsure and questioning. Those states and emotions fuel my creativity. Not that my music turns out sad but it's born on those sad, rainy days when I take a moment to think and reflect on life. When I'm happy and in a good place, I want to do and be. do fun things and be with people I love. At those moments, the world is right, and I don't need to reflect but just live my beautiful life. When I try to write about those happy things, it just comes out cheesy and insincere somehow.
This is purely for me. But music was meant to be shared and enjoyed. I don't hope to become the next youtube sensation or even a name out there. It's fun to dream of those things and making it big in the music industry, but that's not important to me. What is important is being able to express ME and what's inside me with anyone that wants to listen. I feel like sharing my music is the next step to progress it further. So thanks for reading and soon to be listening :)
What is the universal language for the deaf? Just thought I'd throw that out there.
ReplyDeleteI'm excited to hear what you're recording! And I'm glad you've had some quiet time to yourself to focus on your music. Enjoy the quite times because as life progresses it seems to get more full and much less quiet (kids :). And I can totally relate to having a hard time writing when I'm completely happy. For me I think it's because when I'm feeling a little down there are so many diverse avenues that my thoughts and feelings go down that lead to different thoughts and writings. Whereas when I'm happy I'm on a much more unidirectional train of thought - I'm just happy and enjoying life! So when I try to write about life in that mode it all sounds cheese and the same - like you said :). Thanks for sharing your thoughts! Hope you're doing well!
ReplyDelete