Saturday, August 17, 2013

M.I.A.

This was a random late night post a few weeks ago when I couldn't sleep and then never posted...so it's a little late and inaccurate but I'm going to post it anyway :)


So it's probably about time that I join the blogging world again. I've told myself that it's okay I haven't kept up on it because my blog is called 'In the Land of Michiana' and I'm not there right now. Or it's because I've just been having too much fun livin it up in good ol' Utah. In reality I've just been lazy and realize that most of the people that read my blog know exactly what we've been up to this summer because they've been right there with us.

We leave for Indiana in just four days. Mixed emotions... Last year was pure excitement followed by harsh reality. This year I know what to expect, mostly, and it will be easier. I'm excited to be back in our apartment because it's ours. I have lots of ideas for better organization and new recipes to try - thanks Pinterest. Wes and I have a new hobby to enjoy together: golf. I never pictured myself playing golf or being one of 'those couples' that plays golf together, but it's actually a lot of fun, relaxing, and a much better way to spend time together than say watching mind numbing tv.

The thing I dread is the job hunt, which I started over a month ago. I'm not very patient when it comes to jobs because I've been told my whole life "who wouldn't  want to hire you?" and being a college grad makes you more of a snob when it comes to what you'll apply for. I had a very discouraging day when another position was filled by someone other than me, and all of a sudden the grounds keeper position or cage cleaner position (yes that really is a job title at Notre Dame. I think it's for some lab or vet's office) were looking pretty darn promising. Thankfully I have somebody with their head on straight all of the time and he helps me to remember to be realistic and then finds 30 jobs I could apply for on Google. Love my Wesley. I will go back to the bank if nothing pans out. I'm just hoping for more money, or possible tuition benefits, or something that actually uses my degree.

On that same bad day, I was also having mid-college crisis thoughts again that go something like "I don't know what I'm good at, or what do I want to do with my life, or what good is that piece of paper anyway?" I'd rather ditch the job hunt and make writing music my day job. Talk about THE life. That plan is even more tempting when my birthday present was a bunch of recording equipment. Maybe Wes is really telling me to do that! Anyway, once I got a grip after a few tears, I reminded myself that my college education happened the way it did for a reason. I felt really good about the decision to major in exercise science and better yet I loved it! Don't doubt answers that have already come. If it felt right then, it's still right now. (One of the best Elder Holland talks - Cast Not Away Therefore Your Confidence.) I will find a job and it will be what's right for this year. I just have to have patience, more faith and trust in the Lord's timing, and more patience. Wes also reminded me that he's the reason I don't have the job I had all lined up after college. It always feels good to blame someone else :)

So that's what's happening now and in the near future. This summer has been so wonderful. I true summer because it included no job, family, friends, and sun. I've got the best tan I've had in a while without even trying because I've just been at the pool a lot with two highly active, crazy, adorable, smart, sassy, lovely girls all summer. Developing my mommy skills has been a lot more difficult than I expected. I've watched children almost my whole life and have done a lot of babysitting of nieces and nephews, but never in a full-time sort of way. It's exhausting to say the least. All mamas out there be proud of the work you do every single day because no one else can do it better than you. Being a mother is possibly the most selfless job or role there ever was and ever will be. There are constant decisions of doing things for you or for your kids. Children are naturally selfish and that makes it that much harder when you've given them everything you can already and they just want more of you. You without the technology or distractions. There's a difference. I'm grateful for this summer and the chance I've had to get a glimpse into a mom's world. One I'm going to stay out of a while longer, though baby Max is enough to change my mind in a heartbeat, or a smile, or a gurgle. I want one of him :) I wouldn't mind stealing easy-going Alex either.

Besides the kiddos, summer has included lots of family, food, shopping with the sis, reading Mormon romance novels - can I say real life love is so much better? :) - and golf. It also included a road trip to Cali for a most beloved Aunt's wedding and an anniversary of my own! Birthdays and parties and Sunday dinners. Where it all went to so fast, I do not know. I wish in so many ways that it was still just the beginning. I love my family so much it hurts to think about leaving them, again, and not coming back til Christmas, again. But at the same time it's fine. They're just a phone call or Facetime away. I've got the one I absolutely can't live without leaving with me so it will always be okay. Time to look East. for home. for a new school year. for new adventures.

Here's a quick look back in pictures.

 Birthday Dinner: Cheesecake Factory. Don't mind the horrible orange lighting.

 These two cool cats were my best friends all summer. AJ and Alex

 Birthday Girls!

 bubble blowing - a summer must have

 Fourth of July fireworks watching. Yes, Stevie is one of the kids

 California cabin stay. Sooooo awesome. Wish we could stay for a month!

 Cute Noah was my backseat buddy


 The happy couple

 Dad and Nana. You can kinda tell they're related

cute Max

 Block towers and cities. a daily occurence

 One year anniversary with this guy :)

 Cali and Isaac. building sand castles

Crazy first day of school faces. I think this picture portrays their personalities perfectly. Love these two and it's been the best summer with them!

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you posted because I don't know everything that you did this summer, and it was fun to catch up! Have fun moving away again with your hubby, and good luck with the job search, what is right for you will come!

    ReplyDelete